Events in January 2018
- Churning Rapids Snowshoe Hike January 7
Churning Rapids Snowshoe Hike January 7
Join Terry Kinzel for a snowshoe hike on the Churning Rapids trails, followed by hot apple cider and a trip to the sauna. Meet Terry and the group at the Christensen Road trailhead off of M-203 (map). Plan for about an hour long snowshoe on moderately difficult trails.The event is sponsored by the Keweenaw Land Trust.
- Swedetown Winter Trails Day
Swedetown Winter Trails Day
SWEDETOWN WINTER TRAILS DAY is Sunday, January 14
Noon to 5 p.m.
Free all-day pass for skiing or snowshoeing.
Free snowshoe or ski rentals, provided by Cross Country Sports of Calumet. First come, first served for rental equipment, as available from noon to 4:30 p.m. Come to the Swedetown Chalet to check out equipment.
At the Chalet, free hot chocolate and apple juice from noon to 5 p.m.
We have a new snowmobile to show off. And we’ll also have our large Prinoth Husky groomer on display. Get a close look at this nine-foot tall wonder!
Trails Club members will be on hand to suggest ski or snowshoe routes for anyone new to Swedetown.
- Tech Trails Citizen’s Night Series
Tech Trails Citizen’s Night Series
Dates: Tuesday nights @ 6pm on the lighted Michigan Tech Trails
Reserve the dates now: 12/19, 1/16, 1/23, 2/6, 2/20
Come one...come all...to the fun and family oriented race and community ski series on our Michigan Tech Trails this winter season! The idea is basic, to provide our greater community an opportunity to come enjoy our trails and the sport of skiing through a fun, family oriented participation based environment. The goal is simple, provide the opportunity for our Nordic community to come together to enjoy our sport and Nordic lifestyle in the Copper Country, and strengthen our community engagement with the MTU Nordic Ski Team!
What is the Citizen's Night Series?
- 2.5km & 5km mass start race &/or fun ski with your family and friends under the lights of the MTU Tech Trails!
- 2.5km & 5km loop will be same through the series so you can measure your progress through the season
- Skier option of skate or classic, the choice is yours!
- Course marking and timing provided by the MTU Nordic Ski Team coaching staff & student-athletes.
- Grooming provided by MTU Tech Trails Facilities Manager – Scott Jackson & staff.
- Prizes! Best improved times male and female (age groups and overall) from start of series to end of series receives fun award (pasty, thimbleberry jam, MTU Nordic Team merchandise etc.). Minimum of two races of same technical discipline to qualify for prize and have to be present at last race series.
- Campfire social following all of the Tuesday ski series at the Tech Trails. S’mores, hot cocoa & blueberry soup!
- No entry fee! All must have a pre-purchased trails pass (students and under 17 free but still need to acquire pass) from the following places:.
- Online Link
- SDC Ticket Office
- Michigan Tech Trails (collection pipes with day passes available at all main trailheads)
- Cross Country Sports - Calumet
- Down Wind Sports - Houghton
- Swedetown Chalet
- Adult equipment rentals available from Down Wind Sports & Cross Country Sports.
- Youth equipment use is available for free for the Citizen’s Night Series, sponsored by Copper Country Ski Tigers & Nordic Rocks Project.
- Visit Michigantechrecreation.com/trails/forest/index for more information including facts and trail statistics, trail maps, trail cams and everything you need to know about the Tech Trails.
- 1x Citizen Night Series event to be held at Swedetown Trails hosted by the Swedetown Trails Club & MTU Nordic Team!
- KLT Fundraiser and Concert
KLT Fundraiser and Concert
Help KLT raise money to remove the fence at the Huron Bay Field Station by coming out to our 'This Land is Our Land' concert! Folk band White Water will play great local tunes while leading storytelling and evening dances. It all goes down at the American Legion Post 144 in L'Anse. Learn more online or invite your friends to the Facebook event! Revenue from this event will be matched dollar-for-dollar through a challenge grant made by the Carls Foundation.
- Pilgrim River Backcountry Ski
- Swedetown Super Blue Moon Night Ski
Swedetown Super Blue Moon Night SkiSwedetown Super Blue Moon Night Ski.
When: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 7 p.m.
Where: Meet at Swedetown Chalet
Meet up at 7 p.m. and plan to ski at 7:15 p.m. for about an hour (depending upon the weather).
Groups will be led by skiers familiar with the trails. We will divide groups by ski ability, so everyone feels comfortable with the time/distance to ski. Please bring a headlamp if you have one. Children are welcome with an accompanying adult.
Free hot chocolate for all in the Chalet after skiing.
Bring your skis and let’s hope for clear skies to see the moon and ski in some awesome moonlight!
Buy a Pass
Michigan Tech, Swedetown, Chassell and Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids participate in a join annual membership. Get yours today.
- March 26, 2019
Citizens Night Ski Race Series
- April 27, 2019
- May 1, 2019
ACES Day (All Children Exercizing Simultaneously)
- May 11, 2019
La Fleche du Nord
- May 22, 2019
A Day for Women
- June 1, 2019
Health and Safety Fair
- July 20, 2019
- November 28, 2019
- March 26, 2019